Babbling Loon

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Perk Up, Honey

As I sit and type these are the things closest to me/on me: I am wrapped in a fuzzy white robe with two blankets on my legs, cold water, throat lozenges, a constantly growing pile of tissues, and reruns of old British detective TV series.  Sounds super attractive, right?  This, ladies and gents, is what happens when I get sick.  Since I am very well acquainted with the common cold (I swear I get it, like, 8 times a year), I decided to list my tricks for recovery as well as some "sick day makeup" tips.
  • It is okay to stay home.  I know this seems obvious, but for a workaholic like me pushing myself to the limit is all I do.  Challenging myself to do better and be better was how I got through undergraduate.  This method can be productive, but it can also set you several days back on the road to recovery.  Your bosses, friends, and professors will understand if you need a day off.  More often than not, the best medicine is a day of rest and relaxation.
  • Keep the makeup light.  If you absolutely have to go out, save the dramatic eyes and lips for another day.  Tinted moisturizer, concealer, powder (if you need it), brows, blush, and mascara are the only things I bother with.  Even though that sounds like a lot, it takes me less than five minutes to put all this on.  Occasionally, I will put on some highlighter to give my skin a little more life.
  • When you think you've had enough water, drink one more glass.  This is something I've had to learn the hard way.  It may sound odd, but I do not get thirsty very often.  I have to think about keeping myself hydrated even when I'm not sick.  Water is so important because it helps flush those nasty toxins out of your body.  The last thing you need on top of your other symptoms is dehydration, so drink up!
  • Give your skin a little TLC.  Even though I have combination skin, I pick a moisturizer that is slightly more... moisturizing.  (Was that redundant?)  My nose area especially needs this since it gets dry from constant contact with tissues.  Lately I've been using the Korres Pomegranate Balancing Cream Moisturizer, making sure to use a little extra around any areas that are particularly dry.  This stuff is great because it gives me that moisturized feeling without feeling like a grease monkey.
These are my main tips, but please share yours in the comments!  I hope all of you are well and stay healthy!
Till next time,

Rachel

4 comments:

  1. Whenever I'm feeling under the weather, I make ginger tea with lemon and honey. It always make me much better. Oh and of course, I like to stay home and wrap myself in blankets :)

    Aissa // tea in january

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tea sounds lovely! What brand do you use to make it?

    Thanks for commening! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good sick day when you are not working. I was sick a couple weeks ago but luckily was not working, so I sat on the sofa in a blanket and was all warm and smug all day. It was so comfy and satisfying! Just what I needed :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were nice and snug! I hope you're feeling better!

    Thank you so much for the comment. :]

    ReplyDelete