Babbling Loon

Monday, February 2, 2015

Tools of the Trade: Base


Makeup brushes are something I didn't really get into until the last year and a half.  I would paruse the aisle in Sephora with all of these amazing looking brushes but have no idea what I needed.  I found foundation/base brushes particularly intimidating since there is so much variety.  This past year I have done some research and bought a few sets to try out.  Having the right brush can make the process of doing your makeup so much easier and (in my weird case) more enjoyable.  Here's a list of my favorite base brushes and what I use them for.

Zoeva 102 Silk Finish Brush
First of all, can we just talk about how disgustingly beautiful this brush is?  That rose gold detailing is stunning!  Besides looking pretty, this brush is perfect for blending foundation.  Because of its round shape there are no streaks left behind as you buff away your foundation for a natural looking base.

Real Techniques Contour Brush
Spoiler alert: I don't use this for contouring.  Despite the name of the brush, I actually find it best to use for concealer.  It's fluffy, tapered top is perfect for the delicate eye area and blending the product in hard to reach spots.

Real Techniques Duo Fiber Stippling Brush
This is the perfect brush for cream blushes.  Since the fibers are different lengths it gives a very light application of product.  I also like that it is on the smaller side so I can have more control over where the product is applied.

Zoeva 110 Face Shape Brush
Now, this is what I use for contour/bronzer.  I find slanted brushes make bronzer and contour application so much easier.  The (mostly) flat surface helps apply the product right in the hollows of the cheeks.

Real Techniques Duo Fiber Face Brush
I have ignored pretty much all of my other powder brushes for this one.  Again, the different lengths in fibers help give a light application.  This is incredibly necessary for powder because the last thing you want is cake face.  You cannot mess up applying powder if you use this brush.

Sephora #59 Pro Precision Powder Brush
I have had this brush for such a long time (3+ years) and it still performs beautifully.  I mostly use it for powder blushes, but it also works nicely for normal face powder.  I like the size of the bristles and how it barely tapers off at the top.  You can see in my Fall Everyday Makeup Post how I like to hold the brush on its side.  I find this method applies the blush in a very precise and natural looking manner.

I absolutely adore all of these brushes.  What brushes do you use?  Any I absolutely need to get?  Let me know in the comments!

Until next time!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment