Babbling Loon

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Autumn Arsenal


This week so far has finally felt like autumn on the east coast.  The weather is below 75, leaves are starting to change colors, and the pumpkin spice lattes are everywhere.  The drop in temperature makes me want to switch out my bright summer makeup for the darker tones of autumn.  While rearranging my makeup bag, I noticed I was gravitating towards specific shades for my lip products.  The pinks and bright reds were replaced by dusty roses and plums that are irresistible this time of year.  Here is a list of the types of colors I'll be wearing this autumn.


Top to Bottom: Nars Audacious Lipstick in Raquel, Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick 104, Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in Lolita, Hikari Lipgloss in Merlot, Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick 11, Wet 'n Wild MegaLast Lipstick in Sugar Plum Fairy.

Some of you may remember me hauling this Nars Audacious Lipstick waaaay back when this blog was still fairly new.  This shade (Raquel) is fantastic because it's a nude that doesn't make my lips disappear.  I think nude shades are essential all year long, but this has a nice beige undertone that gives it a warmer neutral quality that's great for this time of year.  Every one's nude shade is going to be different depending on skin tone, so swatch away until you find the one that works for you!

For me, the dusty roses replace the bright pearly pinks that are seen in the warmer months.  This type of shade is so versatile because it compliments a lot of different makeup looks.  This type of shade is also pretty fuss-free because you don't have to worry about it awkwardly fading if you eat or drink.  This color by Rimmel is my "your lips but better" shade for the colder months and I have worn it non-stop this week.

These kinds of shades are tricky because, like the nude shade, each skin tone will suit a different dark nude.  This Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick is great for my skin tone because of the chestnut rose quality it has to it.  It's right in the middle of "too brown" and "too pink" resulting in a nice warm neutral that I need this time of year.  I also want to add that the formula for this product is amazing.  It's not as drying as some liquid lipsticks and doesn't lose any staying power because of the more moisturizing formula.

This type of shade is definitely one of my favorites to wear.  When I think about autumn, it's the first shade that comes to mind.  It's not as dark as a blood red or purple, so it's great for people who aren't used to bold colors but want to try something new.  This Hikari lipgloss is the perfect wine shade and happens to have the super appropriate name "Merlot."  I love the formula of this because it has amazing staying power without making my lips feel sticky.

Ahhh, I have such a fondness for these types of shades.  It takes me back to the 90's when it seemed like every witch, vampire, and bad-ass lady was wearing some variation of this color.  It may sound silly, but I always feel sexy when I wear shades like this.  It manages to bring out the sexy vampire in me that is dormant 99.99% of the time.  This Rimmel shade is incredibly pigmented and lasts a fair amount of time without drying my lips out.  

This was the shade that took me the longest to warm up to but I'm so glad I did.  It gives a cool, edgy vibe to any makeup look or outfit you wear.  For me, I find that warmer plum shades look best since I have warmer undertones in my skin.  I really like pairing this Wet 'n Wild shade with just black winged liner.  It's such a simple look, and is great for days where I don't have a lot of time to spend on my makeup.

What lip products are in your autumn arsenal?  Anything I should pick up?  Leave me a comment and let me know!

Until next time,
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Now that I've gotten the hang on which plum shades suit me I can't stop wearing them.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete