Babbling Loon

Friday, October 2, 2015

Freaky Friday: The Witch



Double, Double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble...

Well, hello there ladies and ghouls!  Happy first Friday of October!  Halloween is, without a doubt, my favorite time of year.  I love seeing all the costumes, watching scary movies, and eating copious amounts of candy.  This year I decided to share my excitement for Halloween with all of you on this blog.  So, welcome to the first installment of Freaky Friday!

Every Friday this month, along with my regular posts, I will be posting a Halloween tutorial!  I'm incredibly excited and have been preparing these looks for weeks.  I'll also be posting hints on Twitter in case you want to chat with me and have a guess or two. ;D

This week, I thought we'd start off with a pretty classic look: The Witch.  This is for all my readers who need a look in a pinch.  Everything I'm wearing, including my makeup, I already had somewhere in my house.  Keep reading if you'd like to find out how I created this beWITCHing Halloween look!
(I'm sorry about the pun.  I had to.)




Step 1: Start by priming your face and doing your regular base routine.  I made sure to conceal my dark circles and do a bit of highlighting around the high points of my face.  Try and pick a shade that's a but lighter than your natural skin tone.  I can't imagine witches get out during the day too much...


Step 2: Fill in your brows in whichever way you prefer.  My brows are naturally on the full side, so I just went with the natural shape. I used NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder with the darkest shade in the brunette palette.


Step 3: For this look, my wig was black.  I used a black eyeliner to darken my brows and help them match the wig better.  If your wig is black as well, I suggest using the eyeliner sparingly.  You don't want super bold black brows because it will look cartoony.


Step 4: Set your brows in place!  I used L'Oreal's Brow Stylist Plumper Brow Gel.


Step 5: Prime your eyelids!  We're working with a lot of dark shades, and we really don't want them to move until mischief has been managed.  

Step 6: Place a matte black eyeshadow all over the lid, stopping just before the crease.  I would recommend patting this shade on the lid rather than swiping.  It will pack on the shadow for a more bold look and minimize fallout.  I used the Lorac PRO Palette for all my eyeshadows, but use whatever you have on hand!  Also, don't worry if it looks as messy as mine does.  I'll be blending it out in the next step.


Step 7: Take a fluffy brush and a matte medium brown (I used Taupe from Lorac Pro) and blend that in the crease bringing it slightly upward.  Take your time with this step. You really want to blend those edges out so they're nice and smooth.  I also used a darker matte brown (Sable) since I thought Taupe on it's own was a little too warm.


Step 8: Take a matte eyeshadow that is close to your skin tone (in my case, Cream) and blend under the brow.  If there's any harsh lines from the brown eyeshadow, make sure to blend those out as best as you can.


Step 9: Using Stila's Stay All Day Waterproof Liner in Intense Black, I made a very thin line across my lash line.  I extended the line at the outer corner, forming my wing.  Follow the natural upward curve of your eye to achieve the most natural looking wing.


Step 10: Connect the outer tip of the wing to the lash line, forming a triangle.  Fill in any bare spots in the triangle and clean up the line by your lashes as needed.  The line should be thin at the inner corner of your eye and get thicker as it moves out and reaches the wing.  I also extended the liner at the inner corner slightly.


Step 11: Go back to the black shadow and smudge it under the lower lash line.  Make them eyes nice and smokeeeyyyy.


Step 12: Curl your lashes and put on a lengthening and volumizing mascara.  Put on a few coats to build up the intensity.  I used my trusty Benefit Roller Lash.


Step 13: Powder your face with a translucent powder.  Apply a small amount of bronzer to the hollows of the cheeks.  Don't bring this down the face towards your mouth too far because you do not want to warm the base up too much.  Witches don't like looking tan. ;]


Step 14: Contour any parts of your face that you feel need it.  I always make sure to contour my nose since it gives my face more dimension in photos.


Step 15: Apply a dark lipstick of choice.  I went with Wet 'n Wild's Cherry Bomb.  I love how this shade ties everything together!



Spray on some setting spray and then you're finished!  Now put on your wig and witch hat, get on your broom, and fly to the nearest party!  I hope you all enjoyed this look and I hope you come back for next week's Freaky Friday!

Do you have your costumes ready?  Let me know who/what you're doing this year in the comments!

Until next time,
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. I love this, that lipstick looks really pretty on you. I was thinking of going as witch this year, for the work halloween party.

    Zeynab x
    The Beauty Load

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure you'll be the best looking witch at the party. :]

      Thanks for the comment!
      xoxo, Rachel

      Delete