Babbling Loon

Friday, October 23, 2015

Freaky Friday: Amaterasu




"You spend all your life wishing you were special.  And then you find out you are..."

Well, hello everyone!  On this week's Freaky Friday, I decided to do one of my favorite graphic novel characters: Amaterasu!  Amaterasu is a character in The Wicked and the Divine series that is based off of the Japanese sun goddess.  I talked about the series in this post and it was hard for me to not talk about her the whole time.  I love her design and her hippie (yet not silly) personality.  I knew I had to take a stab at her 80s/David Bowie-esque vibe for this series.  So, for all my comic book and graphic novel friends, this look is dedicated to you!



Step 1: As always, apply primer and a light layer of foundation.  We're going to be covering a fair amount of our face with other products, so there's no need to make the base flawless.  I actually skipped concealer and brow products since the paints will be going over it.  All of the paints I used are by iMagic in their 12 in 1 Flash Color Cosmetic Case.  This is an EXACT DUPE for the Make Up Forever Flash Palette.  The colors (as you will see) are incredibly pigmented and easy to apply.  The link I provided is the same seller that I bough mine from, so no need to worry about sketchy eBay users!


Step 2: Using a reference picture, outline the general shape you want with a bright turquoise color.  I made sure that the shape on the bottom part of my eye curved downward while the top part turned upward.  Not only is this more flattering, but it will make it easier to bring the colors farther down the face in the next few steps.  Don't worry about making the lines perfect, you can always go back in with foundation or makeup remover to clean it up.



Step 3: Fill in the outline with the same turquoise color.  Make sure to use translucent powder immediately after you're finished painting the area to prevent creasing.



Step 4: Following the outline you made with the turquoise color, use a magenta color to outline the next section.  If the shapes don't look identical on either eye, don't fret!  It doesn't look like they're exactly the same in the reference picture.  What you view as a mistake might make the shape better.



Step 5: Fill in your outline with the magenta color.



Step 6: Outline the next area in red.  Seeing a pattern yet?  :P  I made sure to bring the red farther down my cheeks to start the tear effect.



Step 7: Fill in the red outline!  If you look a little like David Bowie, you're headed in the right direction.



Step 8: The last color is the bright yellow.  Repeat the same steps as before: outline the shape and fill it in.  Bring one of the points all the way down to the jawline to match the reference picture



Step 9: Start adding dots, making the look a little messier.  I tried to make the dots small, but I didn't focus on making them all exactly the same size.  Don't be afraid to improvise or get a little creative in this step!


Step 10: Even though Amaterasu doesn't wear liquid liner, I think it makes the eyes look a little more put together.  I felt like my eyes needed the extra bit of definition.  I also added some mascara to the top and bottom lashes.


Step 11: Amaterasu seems to have a natural nude colored lip.  I wanted to tone down the natural pinkness in my lips, so I patted on NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel.



Powder everything with more translucent powder and you're finished!  Now go sing your heart out and bring the sun with you wherever you go!  And don't forget to pose with your dog.

Are you going as a comic book or graphic novel character?  Who is it?  Let me know in the comments!

Until next time!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment