Babbling Loon

Friday, October 16, 2015

Freaky Friday: Oh, Deer!



Hello, my deers!  Welcome to the next installment of Freaky Friday!  I was having a conversation with someone on Twitter a while back for looks I should put up for this series.  She suggested a cute animal and I thought it was a brilliant idea!  I have seen a lot of interpretations of this look, so I thought I would give it a go and add my own twist to it.  So, if you want to go on the cuter end of the spectrum for your costume this year, read on to find out how I achieved this look!



Step 1: I started by putting on primer and a light later of foundation.  The foundation is going to be mostly covered up by other products, so don't worry about making it totally flawless.  I did go in with some concealer under my eyes since my dark circles have been especially bad as of late.

IMAGE1 IMAGE2

Step 2: Take a white eyeshadow stick or eyeliner and color in various spots on your face.  I was using a reference picture of a deer to determine general placement, but I still made some adjustments to make it more flattering for the face.  Blend the pencil out until there are no harsh edges.  Powder over anywhere you placed the white eyeliner so the product stays in place.

IMAGE1IMAGE2

Step 3: Take a matte bronzer and blend that on your cheeks and temples.  This is the one time (and I mean one time) overdoing your bronzer is acceptable.  You want the bronzer to blend with the edges of the white.  I had to go back over some areas with the brush I used to blend out the white to get rid of any harsh lines.  Line the sides of your nose with the bronzer and bring it up to the brows.  This makes the bridge of your nose more pronounced and enhances the white we placed there earlier.


Step 4: Let's take a break from the face and move to the eyes.  We need to get those peepers looking ginormous!  I primed my lids and used NARS Isolde Eyeshadow Duo to give a pretty golden bronze look.  These shadows are extremely pigmented, so I only went over the lids once with each of the colors.  We're going to use some intense liner in the next step, which is where I wanted the focus of the eyes to be.

IMAGE1 IMAGE2


Step 5: Line your eyes with the blackest, most intense liner you have.  Do a thick winged liner, extending the wing farther than you normally would.  After the black, take either a white liquid liner or a white cream eyeliner and line the lower lash line.  Bring the white a little past the inner corner of your eye to get that "doe eye" look.  Extend the white liner under the black so that they end at the same point.  


Step 6: Line underneath of the white liner with a thin line of black.  This will give the illusion that your eye stops lower than it actually does.  This is another step that will enhance the doe eyes.


Step 7: Curl your top lashes and add a ridiculously big pair of false lashes.  When I said we were making the eyes ginormous, I wasn't kidding.  You basically want to look like a deer with anime eyes.  Trust me, it'll look super cute.  After putting on the lashes, apply mascara to blend your natural lashes with the fake ones.  You can even draw some lower lashes near the black liner if you want the extra oomph.


Step 8: We're coming back to the face with the large white pencil from before and putting dots errywhere.  There is no rhyme or reason to this step, just put dots wherever you feel like you need them.  Since my pencil was pretty flat at this point, I used a dabbing motion rather than drawing a circle and filling it in.  This leaves the pigmentation of the dot consistent and keeps the shape in place.


Step 9: Draw on your adorable deer nose with black liquid liner.  I followed the natural shape and contours of my nose for this step.


Step 10: Draw a thin, straight line from the middle of your nose down to the center of your top lip.  This was the hardest step for me because apparently I'm incapable of drawing straight lines (no judging).  Fill in your top lip with the black liner like you normally would with a lip pencil.  Bronze any other areas that are outside of your costume to keep the look consistent.  Since I was wearing a sweater, I only needed to add it to my hands and neck.  I also added some spots to my hands for funsies.  


Step 11: Go over any white areas that got muddled in the process.  I found some of my spots needed to be redone, so I used the pencil again and set it with white eyeshadow.


As usual, finish off with setting spray and you're ready to go frolic in the woods!  Or you could frolic in a field of flowers.  Or you could be like me and frolic around your house and make your parents question their ability to raise a normal child.  You doe you!
(I'll show myself out for that one.)

Is your costume on the cuter end of the spectrum?  Let me know what it is in the comments!

Until next time,
Rachel  

No comments:

Post a Comment