Babbling Loon

Friday, October 9, 2015

Freaky Friday: Luminous Mermaid




Well, hello there and welcome to Freaky Friday #2!  This week, I give you, the Luminous Mermaid!  Last week I had fun with the intense smokey look, but I was feeling pretty girly this week.  I wanted bright shadows, a lot of shimmer, and pearls all over mah face.  I really wanted to push myself as an artist, so I decided on a design that was more abstract and artistic.  The inspiration for this came from the amazing NYX Loose Pearl Eyeshadows  I picked up and some very creative pinners on Pinterest.  So, if you want to inject a bit of summer into your costume, read on to see how I did this look!


 Step 1: Prime your face and apply a luminous foundation.  I used L'Oreal's True Match Lumi Foundation in Soft Ivory.  Cover up any other imperfections with concealer and use a brightening concealer as needed.  I used Too Faced Candlelight Pressed Powder to set everything.  This powder is great because it set everything without overly mattifying my base.


Step 2: Put those unruly brows in their place!  Comb through them and fill in any sparse areas.  I used NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder in Brunette.  Now, be prepared to laugh at my for the rest of time for the next picture.


Step 3: Put a fishnet stocking over your head.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Yes, you will look silly, but the result will be worth it.  This is how I got the scales on my face!  Pull it down as far as you want the scales to go.


Step 4: Pat a pearly white shade on the high points of the face (cheekbones, nose, forehead, little on the chin).  You want to use a patting motion instead of a swiping motion so you do not move the fishnet and blur the edges of the scales.  I took my time with this step making sure I was evenly applying the product.  I used NYX's Loose Shadow in White.


Step 5: Pat the turquoise shade anywhere you want to create some depth.  I took this in the hollows of my cheeks, top of the forehead, sides of the face, and along the jawline.  Basically, pretend this is your contour shade!  I would also recommend you extend the lines further in all directions then you normally would.  This will allow the two colors to blend together, making a nice transition between shades.


Step 6: Carefully and slowly remove the fishnets.  I brought my hands under the fishnets so they were flat towards me and pulled my hands away before pulling the fishnets off my head.  If you pull them straight off you risk blurring all the lines for the scales.


Step 7:  Take a turquoise eyeliner to start your cut crease look.  Follow the natural shape of your eye, going slightly above your natural crease.  Wing out the edge slightly to create the base for your cat eye.


Step 8: Take a turquoise eyeshadow to help blend out the eyeliner.  Only blend out the top of the line.  We want to keep the bottom of the line nice and crisp!


Step 9: Pat a pearly silver eyeshadow only on the lid, making sure to not go above the crease.  Take the same silver eyeshadow and use it as a highlight under the brow.


Step 10: I felt like the eyes looked a little flat, so I used a darker blue shade to deepen the outer crease.


Step 11: Use white liquid eyeliner along the lash line and create your wing.  Follow the natural shape of your inner eye to extent the liner on the lower lash line.  Mermaids totally wear white cat eyes... right?


Step 12: Go back to the darker blue shade you used on your outer crease and blend it under the lash line.


Step 13: Let's get even fancier!  Take the white eyeliner and make little dots on the lower lash line where you put the dark blue.  I made sure the dots followed the shape of the winged eyeliner, making them smaller as I got to the outer corner.


Step 14: Take the turquoise eyeliner and run it lightly over your brows.  If you're wearing a wig, use the eyeliner as your normal eyebrow pencil so they match.  In my case, I just felt like making my brows a little blue.


Step 15: Add mascara!  I used NYX's Color Mascara in Mint Julep.  I felt like black or brown mascara would darken the eyes too much so went out on a limb and tried colored mascara.  I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this product!  My only complaint is that it was a little difficult to get off.  


Step 16: Add a nude lipstick with a shimmery gloss on top.  I used NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel and NARS Lipgloss in Striptease.  I made sure to pat any excess lip product off with a tissue.


Step 17: Bring the turquoise shade down the neck, carving out any areas that would be in  shadow.  I also used the pearl shade on my collarbone to bring more light to that area.


Spray some setting spray, put on your pearl tiara, and you're done!  Besides the makeup, it was really fun to pick out accessories for this look.  My "tiara" was actually a necklace and the pearls in my hair were glued to bobby pins.  I also used one of my grandmother's wraps as a shirt because it reminded me of the nets fishermen use.   Get creative with this look and unleash that luminous mermaid that's in you!

What do you think?  Is there anything else you would add to this look?  Let me know in the comments!

Until next time,
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment