Babbling Loon

Friday, December 18, 2015

Stress-Free Holiday Shopping


As much as I love the holidays, there are times where it can get incredibly stressful.  I recently got a job in retail and was having a discussion with one of the customers about how she was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of people she had to buy for.  We talked about how you want to show the important people in your life how much they mean to you by buying them a gift you know they will appreciate and love.  Sometimes, that's not so easy.  There's the friend who has everything, the father who wants nothing, and the cousin who is disinterested.  I have run into all of these problems before, and they all present their own challenges.  Here are my tips for minimizing stress while shopping for presents!

1. Gift cards are not a cop out.

I don't know about you, but if someone gives me a gift card I'm ecstatic.  It's like when you're out for drinks and your friend says, "Hey, this one's on me."  It's a surprise and you're happy to take your friend up on the offer.  Gift cards are great to give people who seemingly have everything.  It gives them the freedom to choose what they want whenever they want.  I also make sure I let whoever gave me the gift card know what I bought with it.  Not only does it make them feel good knowing you put it to use, but it might inspire them for the next holiday or special occasion.

2. Give yourself some time to think.
When you're on a break at work or have nothing to do, think about the people you are buying for.  What do they like?  Was there something they mentioned recently that they wanted?  What do you think they would love?  I usually make a list with two columns.  The first column has the name of the person and the second has all of the gift options I'm considering.  You don't have to buy every single gift idea you write down, but it gives you options, making shopping for them less daunting.  

3. Get sentimental!
If you're not sure what to buy, why not get crafty?  Pinterest has a plethora of amazing DIY ideas for all different types of people on your list.  I have followed this sharpie mug tutorial and this mom coupon idea!

4. Just ask. 
Lastly, being upfront with someone and asking what they want is a great way to get a direct answer.  It doesn't eliminate any surprise for them, especially if they give you multiple options.  I make a list every year with 3-4 things that I want.  Asking for something specific doesn't decrease the amount of joy I feel when I receive the gift.  If anything, I'm more excited because the person took the time to find it!

So, there you go!  How do you try and stay stress-free during this crazy time?  Let me know in the comments!

Until next time,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment