Babbling Loon

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Summer Makeup Essentials


Summer is in full swing which means a drastic change in my makeup routine.  The full coverage, dark makeup has been replaced with the lighter coverage tinted moisturizers and warm, golden bronze tones.  Instead of talking about my entire summer makeup bag, I thought I'd talk about the products that I cannot go a day without in the summertime.  


Primer
Even in the coldest of months, I can't go without primer on my face or lids.  This ensures that no matter how hot it may get, my makeup is not moving.  I would recommend Lorac's Behind the Scenes Eyeshadow Primer and Benefit's Porefessional.  If you want a drugstore option, elf makes a surprisingly good eyeshadow primer.  Unfortunately, I haven't tried a drugstore face primer I think is worth recommending.  I welcome suggestions in the comments!!

Light Foundations
One of the worst feelings in summer is feeling your base melting off your face.  I'm located on the east coast where it can get extremely humid in the summer months.  Since I usually need some amount of coverage, I opt for a lighter formula.  Tinted moisturizers and BB creams take the place of my heavier foundations.  I caved and repurchased the Smashbox BB Cream in light.  If you want to see a full review of this product, I mentioned it in this post.

Powder
Safety net #1!  To make sure my base doesn't slip and slide, I abso-flippin-lutely cannot skip this step.  I find I gravitate towards loose powders during the summer months since they give a lighter, more natural appearance to the skin.  As always, I love my Coty Airspun Powder to help me out.

Setting Spray
Ever since I first sampled Urban Decay's All-Nigher Setting Spray, I knew I wouldn't be able to go a day without it.  I spray this on at the end of my makeup routine as safety net #2 to make sure my makeup lasts all day.  If you have drier skin, you will probably be fine with just powder.  All my combination and oily skin readers out there, however might want to give this a go for the extra staying power.

Blotting Papers
Despite my safety nets, some oil still comes through.  In my experience, putting more powder on top of the oil my skin produces clogs my pores and ends in breakouts.  To avoid this, I keep some blotting papers in my purse.  This absorbs excess oil without taking my base products with it.  Of course, before this photo was taken, I ran out of my trusty sheet companions (curses!).  Sephora and NYX make some great blotting papers that are both inexpensive.  And since I am a real person with financial struggles (despite the beauty splurge every so often), I've also used normal tissues and napkins when I'm in a pinch.

There you have it!  What are your summer makeup essentials?  Anything you recommend I try?
Until next time!
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment