Babbling Loon

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Cherished Bond


I'm going to be honest with you all, I have gone through so many introduction drafts for this post it's overwhelming.  After all of the metaphors and images I could craft with words, there is only one way to properly start this post: 

The bonds that you make throughout your life should always be cherished.

Seems a tad obvious, I know.  There are times in life where we get a bit lost in our own world.  Our schedules are filled with appointments, obligations, and responsibilities that often leave us drained by the end of the day.  There are times where after a day of classes and work I just want to go to bed and sleep until the cycle needs to start again.  This past weekend, I was able to put down my weekly planner and reconnect with an old friend.

I drove to Virginia to see a childhood friend of mine.  I have known her since the first grade, which makes this a whopping 16 year friendship.  During the college application madness in high school, I knew one of her top choices was a school in Virginia.  Several months later, when I heard she was accepted to that school, I was a mix of ecstatic and selfishly upset.  My best friend was going to school in another state, hours away from me.  I had no idea how to maintain a friendship with that amount of space between us.  I was always terrible at keeping in touch with people who moved away or did not go to the same school as me.  The last thing I wanted was to lose touch.  

It did not take as much work as you would think.  Phone calls, texts, sending stupid pictures (usually of cats) through Facebook or email, and the occasional surprise visit was all it took.  I realized we did not need to talk every day.  All we had to do was make time for each other.  I understand not all friendships work the way mine does, but the point of this post still applies to everyone.  Make time for those who mean the most.

It's easy to get lost in our own lives.  It's just as easy to take a moment and appreciate those around you.

Until next time,

Rachel

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I have a very good friend who I only actually see about two or three times a year since she moved schools when we started A levels. We've managed five years like this and I'd still consider her one of my closest friends. We used to be able to chat on facebook for hours every single day, these days we're so busy that it might just be a snapchat or a text every few days but that's all it takes. A true friendship shouldn't require gigantic efforts to keep it going, it's simply just knowing that you're still there for each other
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great that you've remained close with your friend! I'm surprised how much I use snapchat to keep in touch with people, haha. It's such a nice way to see a snippet of their life.

      Thank you so much for the comment! <3

      Delete
  2. I had best friend when I was younger and when i moved to a music school i was worried i would never speak to her again because we would be so far away! We kept in contact for years after and we are still friends now :) Make the effort with her and she will know your'e a true friend xxx
    emsie99.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Glad you have remained friends with her!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete