Babbling Loon

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Traditions



I'm finally writing a Christmas post!  I absolutely adore this time of year.  Everyone seems to be in such high spirits and it's absolutely contagious.  The first few weeks of December are always busy since I'm studying for finals, but I thought I would take a little break (more like procrastinate) and share with you my favorite Christmas traditions.  And, yes, that is a Hello Kitty ornament. :]



1. Shopping

There's no better way to get in the Christmas spirit than picking out gifts for your loved ones.  I spend a lot of time thinking and searching for something that my friends and family will like.  It's amazing to finally give it to them and see their face light up.  Funnily enough, I get very embarrassed when people watch me open gifts.  No idea what that's about...


2. Spending time with family

By mid-December my semester is over and I get to take a much needed breather from academics.  I don't even look at a textbook because I'm too busy catching up with family.  I love going out with my mom to get sushi, spending time with my grandfather, even helping my dad with the yard.  The older I get, the more I cherish the seemingly insignificant moments with them.


3. Christmas movies

Who doesn't love a good Christmas movie?  Even the tacky ones get a few chuckles out of me.  My parents and I adore Love Actually.  I'm pretty sure we've watched it about 40 times.  I also love the classics like A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town.  I think my favorite has to be The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant.  I remember being really little and watching that movie with my dad.  If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out!


4. Sweets

As if I need another excuse to eat sweet things... I have a major sweet tooth all the time, but this time of year it's on overdrive.  Between delicious hot chocolates, fun coffee flavors, homemade Christmas cookies, or my Grandmother's famous knot cookies, I'm in heaven.

  
5. Decorating the tree

This has to be my favorite traditions. I love pulling out decorations I've had since my first Christmas and placing them around the house.  It's the fastest way to truly get in to the Christmas spirit.  Random story: my mom and I bought ornaments that were on super sale last year after Christmas was over.  When we were getting out decorations this year, we totally forgot what we had bought!  It was such a great surprise, like a gift from our past selves.


What Christmas traditions do you enjoy?  I'd love to read your responses, so let me know in the comments!

Until next time!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment