Babbling Loon

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Giving Thanks



I know most of us are in the full swing of Christmas season, but I want to take it back a bit before I jump on the bandwagon.

This past weekend was Thanksgiving here in the US.  I had all of these grand photo ideas to go with blog posts, instagram, and twitter.  Gordon and I were on pie duty and I wanted to photograph our success and/or struggle with the recipe.  I also wanted to write a nice post for Thanksgiving Day talking about all the people in my life I appreciate.  As you can see, I did none of that. 

I’ve seen a few bloggers talk about “switching off.”  Sometimes we get so caught up in our online life that it’s hard to be present in real life.  I think it’s so important to take some time to be with those you love and do the things you love without feeling the need to document every second.  Now, don’t get me wrong, making a permanent record of certain memories is very valuable.  It’ll be fantastic to look back on those photos or blog posts when you’re older and remember details that may have been otherwise lost.  There are times, however, where our full attention is needed.  We can’t spend 20 minutes setting up a shot or picking the perfect filter.  Take moments as they come, the good and the bad, and fully experience them.

I will cherish the moments I had this weekend with Gordon and my family.  The conversations, the meals, and all of the love that was felt was incredible.  Even the boring moments where I was doing work and Gordon was keeping me company were amazing.

So, I challenge all of you lovely people to look up from your screens and log out of your social media accounts.  There’s a big world out there for the taking.

Until next time!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment